1. At HandTrucks.com, we don't want you buying more than you need for your business, so we've got it pretty easily laid out for you. Search by brand and weight load capacity for your pallet jack to easily narrow down your choices so you can get on with your day.
2. Pallet jack weight capacity ranges from under 2,000 pounds to over 5,000 pounds. It's never a bad idea to add a little buffer when calculating what amount of weight you need, just to be on the safe side.
3.Your decision shouldn't be based entirely on pallet weight, though. Many of the least expensive pallet jacks are capable of lifting the greatest amount of weight, but you might be sacrificing turning radius or maximum floor clearance.
4. If you have a tight warehouse, definitely choose a pallet jack with at least a 200-degree turning radius so you don't stick yourself in a corner.
5. Be careful when ordering a pallet with various fork sizes, you don't want it to arrive and find that it doesn't fit or properly support your pallets. And definitely don't choose a pallet with a fork size that might be a tight fit. You want to be able to easily slide the jack into the pallet.
6. When using a pallet jack, be mindful that you're likely dealing with about one ton of inertia. When it's hard to get it moving, it will be just as hard to get it to stop moving. Many assume that the pallet doesn't want to move, when in fact, it just wants to keep going the speed it was going.
7. Pallet jack wheels are designed to have as little resistance as possible, meaning that you or the brake mechanism will be providing most of the stopping power. Just remember to keep one hand on the brake while moving and always be sure you know which is the lift-release and which is the brake. Some people forget, turning a stopping problem into a dropping problem, too.
8. Pallet jacks that specialize in lifting to greater heights require extra care. They are also more expensive and generally lift less weight. This is because they can be quite dangerous if mishandled. Anything heavier than the pallet jack weight capacity should be done using a motorized lift by a certified professional.